Saturday, June 13, 2009

Girl Eats World



I haven't been cooking much lately. I'm not sure if it is the weather or the diet (i'm still getting used to cooking light and without gluten), but I haven't been inspired. I've still been reading about food, cookbooks, blogs, Bon Apetit, and this great book about the history of the food establishment in America called, The United States of Arugula. And yet, nothing. Even when we eat out I've sought out comfort over interest. We still eat at home, it's just been staples: rotisserie chicken from Freddy's, burgers, salads. My usual drive to try something new, something trendy, something seasonal has all but left my world. Until now. About a week ago I made dinner. I cooked. I went to the grocery store and let it inspire me. I let the weather determine that we were not cooking inside. We were going to grill. And we were going to eat asparagus and we were going to have wild king salmon. And I was inspired. I had almost forgotten about this meal until I just loaded my photos onto the computer and up popped the pictures from that night. And my mouth watered again, and my chopping finger started twitching, and my flavor sensors started beeping...while we may eat out tonite (date nite!) you can count on me ordering something seasonal, trendy, and out of my comfort zone, and Sunday nite dinner will be just as inspired, I promise.

The Menu that brought me back to life:
Grilled heirloom grape tomato, goat cheese, red onion and arugula salad, lightly dressed with balsamic vinegar.
Asparagus a la grill, brushed with olive oil, salt, and pepper
Grilled Tapenade encrusted King Salmon



No comments: