Thursday, January 15, 2009

new year...

...new posts, and a new coat of paint.

With the recent addition of my good friend claire to the blogging world I've been inspired to clean up the place a bit. The initial title photo was a shot taken from the window of our hostel in Nice, on our honeymoon. Even smut marts are more aesthetically pleasing in the south of France, no wonder the Jolie-Pitts are calling it home...ahem.

Getting married was such a significant event it felt like it reset our clocks, May 1st, 2007 was our new year. We travelled through Spain, France, and Ireland for our honeymoon and when we came home everything looked, smelled, and felt new. Old friends were now best friends, our little duplex was now a home, our families were closer, and boyfriend and girlfriend were now husband and wife. The "no taboo" was a great image for this last year, but it seemed outdated. To me the last year and a half is all bundled together under the umbrella of "last year". When this new year came around it snuck up and flew by, and now all of a sudden it's two weeks into 2009 and it's just now starting to feel like a New year. For the first time in a year and a half I feel like jumping into the freezing cold water of Bellingham Bay, and joining the gym (which we did), and making resolutions I won't keep. I started a new job, it is simple, I serve coffee, and I am so happy. I want to celebrate the New Year today, on January 15th!

And this is how I celebrate. With a new picture and real live actual posts. The new photo up there, with the bed. It's from Jesse's great aunts home in Iowa. It was such a sad place, with lonely corners that were only visited to be dusted. All of the other pictures in this house feel strange and empty except for this one. This one makes everyone smile, and relax. This one feels like home. I can only imagine which strange lucky relative got to stay in this room, back when people were still visiting aunt weisy. The yellow room, with the blue blanket. The chest of drawers was filled with vintage dishtowels, and on it's top was a vase of plastic Calla lilies. The loneliest of places can have the brightest rooms.

So here is to the new year, my new year, and the hope that it will be filled with yellow rooms, quiet spaces, and soft lighting.

1 comment:

Claire Brewer said...

look at you giving me a shout-out ... and an excuse to put off my own dishes.