Sunday, January 18, 2009

A wonderful note from my mom...

This email from my mom really struck me as an important note to our whole generation from her generation. It is compassionate and intelligent and a wonderful sentiment that I thought might inspire you all.

My mom has always been a concerned parent, worried about our success and happiness. My brothers and I have been going through a funny period of indecision and unemployment as of late, and I know this is true of many of my friends. No matter what our fancy college degrees are in we aren't sure of where we are going or really where we want to go. My parents have both had to take all of this on from all three of their kids, ages 29, 27, and 24. I can't even imagine how stressful this could be from a parents perspective. What I do know is my parents have always thought very highly of us, thought we could all three own the world. When we reached this strange point in our lives I think it was confusing to them. Why are our three unbelievable children finding it so hard to find their places in this world? When I received this email I felt my mom had reached a very peaceful understanding. And by understanding I don't mean a complacent one, I mean an "I get it". And with that came an "I hope". And it is with that hope that we all step forward into the future, it is what we have been trying to make our parents understand for years. For the first time in our adult lives we have hope in our future. A hope for a strong country, a hope for our dreams coming true, and a hope that in our future having ambition will not be met with empty promises.

Thank you to our parents generation for paving the way for change, and thank you to our generation for hopefully completing our parents thoughts. Here is to the next eight years and to making our dreams come true.

And thank you Mom, for always saying the things that need to be said during the right times (like now) and even during the wrong times, I love you.

My mom's email, short and sweet:

My dear kiddos:

I just read this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28663645/from/ET/

It’s about how bad the job market is for your age group and the reasons why. Looks like a lot of it is my generations fault, but we didn’t foresee this horrible economy either. Even Daiso is closing! So, I hereby promise to stay off your back unless it is to say something positive or helpful (although I always think I’m being helpful!)

So, gambatte kudasai! (Try your hardest to bring good luck!). I always am proud of all of you, even though I sometimes don’t sound like it. Amy, I am proud that you are never afraid to work hard, Hooter, I am proud of your adventurous spirit, and Greggie, I am proud of your unwillingness to compromise. (Gee, sounds like the classic “oldest, middle, and youngest” child syndrome!) Hang in there, I just know that Obama will turn this ship around for you all!

Love, Momser

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love your mom. so awesome.