Wednesday, March 4, 2009

wishing it were summer.


Tonite, for dinner, I dug through the depths of our cupboards and fridge to find something, anything, that would resemble a well rounded meal. I knew there was a bag of radishes stashed in the crisper, but really, how much can you do with a radish right? Sliced on salads, processed for dip, pickled for deliciousness...but nothing dinnery. Oh, how I was wrong. Turns out treating radishes like potatoes is a very good idea. We had some red onion, dill, and celery as well and some Kewpie mayonnaise and thus a radish salad was born, similar to a potato salad but lighter and equally delicious. Radishes have an almost sweet flavour when they are cooked, and the texture is very light, almost cucumbery.

Since we were having a cold Radish salad, a very summery dish indeed, I thought it appropriate to go with it. We had some frozen salmon fillets that I pan seared with just a light dusting of salt and pepper, and my new favorite side discovery is Zattarans microwaveable rice deals, tonite it was dirty rice, and we were well on our way to what will be a delicious summer meal...and for now is our only glimpse into the future. Where the sun will come out, and the ground will thaw, and the rain will be wet and warm, and the salmon will be cooked on a grill.

It's just around the corner, I can taste it.

(jesse has hidden my camera somewhere so there is not photo of the salad. But trust me when I say it was gorgeous.)

2 comments:

Claire Brewer said...

mmm... Can I be a wealthy Orange County suburbanite and hire you to be my Mexican nanny/cook/housekeeper?

Even your words about food are tasty!

Amelia Anne Flores Ireland said...

yes please! i mean, si, porfavor senora brewer.