Monday, March 30, 2009

When I dream of summer I cook...

...and last night, as the warm sun was finally sliding below the horizon I grilled. The boys (a good friend Aaron and Jesse) started the coals before I even got home from work. After a quick trip to my favorite Fred Meyers to pick up the necessities for the meal I ran into the house and started prepping for what would be our first use of the bbq this year. Very early in the day, as I was working and all my favorite people were hiking, I realized the only way I was going to get to enjoy the sunshine was by cooking in the last bits of it when I got home. Something light, something quick, and something that screamed summer. Fish Tacos!

I picked up some true cod (on sale!) and some other fish taco necessities: corn tortillas, sour cream, cabbage, jalapenos...and Las Flores Fish Tacos were born! I've included the recipe for the Bacon Black Beans also, cause they were pretty good to eat in accompany to the fish tacos.

Las Flores Fish Tacos
1 lb true cod (or other white fish)
marinade:
1/4 cup of tequila, i used Hornitos
juice of one lime
2 tbls cilantro, diced
3 green onions, diced
salt and pepper

1 head of cabbage, quartered with core still intact.

diced tomato
diced red onion
cilantro
salsa blanca (sour cream, diced jalapeno, can of green chiles, 2 tbls red salsa, lime juice)

Corn Tortillas

Marinate the fish in the marinade for 30 minutes, not any longer because the lime and tequila will start cooking the fish.
Using a grill pan, you know the non stick kind with the holes in it? They are rad...grill the fish over pretty hot coals for 3-5 minutes on each side (depending on thickness). While fish is cooking brush a little olive oil onto cut sides of cabbage and throw them on the grill. Turning when you turn the fish. You'll see the grill marks and the outside will be pretty soft.

How to tell the fish is done: take a butter knife, stick it into the center of the thickest part and twist it...the fish will separate easily and be very flaky but still wet when it's done. It's over done when it down right crumbles and sticks to the knife (on a fish taco you don't have to worry too much about this, it's still good), and it's not done at all if it won't flake or if it looks raw. Mostly I end up grilling by our dim porch light so I have to trust the feel of it.

Get all your toppings ready while the fish is cooking. You can grill the corn tortillas, or you can pan heat them. They would be extra good grilled! Throw some fish and cabbage on a tortilla and whatever other goodies you like...pop open a can of tecate, or throw back a shot of tequila and relax...summer will be here soon.

Oh yeah, Bacon Black Beans
Can of Black Beans, refried
3 pieces of bacon, diced
half of jalapeno, diced
quarter red onion, diced

saute onion, jalapeno, and bacon until bacon is cooked through. Add can of black beans and a splash of water. Cook until beans are hot and serve with a smidgen of cheese on top.


It is 2 in the morning and I wish we had leftovers....enjoy!

No comments: