Monday, April 6, 2009

My bones are thawing and my view is getting better...

Today I played outside. I dug around in the dirt, what little dirt we have contained in terracotta pots and a custom made (by dad) wooden flower box. It was just enough to get stuck under my fingernails like so many women I admire who spend their days with something or other stuck under their imperfect nails. It was just enough to let me imagine my thumbs were green. It was just enough to remind me that we never grow out of taking joy in throwing dirt around.
I used the same shovel my favorite 2 year old uses. I saved him his pot so that next time he comes over he still has something to fill and unload with dirt. But all the other pots are mine, and I filled them and I can't wait to unload the goodies they will bring. What started the day as three pots of slightly disheveled hens and chicks (still healthy, just overgrown) turned into six odd shaped pots with mix and match old and new hens and chicks and seedums. They can reach the sun now, and they have room to grow which they no doubt will. Which is why I love them so. Like friends, I prefer my plants to be able to take care of themselves, surprise me with their determination, and yet be so very appreciative when I water them.


My wooden flower box/edible garden will require a little more effort, and a lot more water. This year I have one rule for my edibles: they must be something we actually and already eat. Nothing will go to seed for lack of creativity at dinnertime nite after nite. I've started with lavender, for drying in August and to be turned into sachets for holiday gifts. Greek Oregano for drying as well, only this will find it's way into the greek salads both fresh and dried throughout the summer. Rosemary,a no brainer, I haven't met a potato that didn't fall madly in love with her at first sight. And Cilantro, which we devour in everything, and mostly in pico de gallo. The cilantro will be the baby of the family, the one I will coddle and worry about and the one that will be most loved by Jesse. Very soon these friends will be introduced to Arugula, though we prefer to call it by it's rockstar moniker 'Rocket'. And also to nasturtiums because I can't have a flower box only in multiple shades of green, and because nasturtium petals in a salad make me smile, and nothing is better than a lemon cake sprinkled in candied nasturtium petals. Which I've only seen in a Martha Stewart Living magazine from way back in high school and never have actually tried.

And once the season proves it is here to stay be prepared for the attack of the grape tomatoes, my first attempt at fruit (berries? vegetables?). And Marigolds hanging from anything I can find, to ward off evil spirits and to welcome back the good. And by week's end I will fill my new (christmas gift) hummingbird feeder with one part sugar and four parts water, because it doesn't take much sweetness to attract the birds and the bees. It is spring after all.

2 comments:

Claire Brewer said...

ZB played hooky today so I too got my fingernails gritty. An old window is now a sweet pea trellis. "Peach Melba" nasturtiums have been planted. And all the while Zion's "Soylent Green" swallows cheeped at me from the phone lines.

Not surprisingly, I thought about you a lot. I hope we don't wait till the next big demo to have a Brewer's Roof Date.

Scratch that, let's hope the next big demo is scheduled for very very soon!

Unknown said...

"Like friends, I prefer my plants to be able to take care of themselves, surprise me with their determination, and yet be so very appreciative when I water them."

What an amazing sentence.
This whole post was awesome.